Fiance Visas

K-1 Visa

Fiance Visas

A fiancé visa, also known as a K-1 Nonimmigrant Visa, is a visa that enables foreign nationalists of US citizens to come to the United States to get married. To secure a fiancé visa, the engaged couple must have the intention of getting married within 90 days of the foreigner entering the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant, otherwise the K-1 visa holder must exit the country. The marriage must be valid; in other words, the married couple must have intentions of building a life together as husband and wife; the purpose of the union must not be with intentions of obtaining benefits offered by immigration.

If the couple marries within the 90 day period, the K-1 nonimmigrant visa holder may apply for legal permanent resident status within the United States; he or she may obtain a green card.

K-1 Nonimmigrant Visa Requirements

US citizens may be able to have their foreign fiancé come to the United States with a fiancé visa if the US citizen meets the following requirements:

  • The petitioner must be a US citizen
  • The US citizen and his or her foreign fiancé must have the intention to wed each other within 90 days of the K-1 nonimmigrant visa holder entering the United States.
  • Both individuals are able to legally marry. Neither one of the pair has been married; if they have, their marriage(s) have been ended legally, by divorce, an annulment, or death.
  • The US citizen and his or her fiancé met one another a minimum of one time at least 2 years prior to the petition being filed.
  • If the intended couple has not met at least 2 years prior to getting married, it must be proven that doing so would go against the customs of the fiancé’s culture, or doing so would lead to severe hardship for the US citizen.

You can learn more about the requirements for the K-1 visa here.

Fiance Visa Costs

The total cost of the fiancé visa varies and depends on the country of origin of the foreigner, as well as the USCIS.

Petitioners can expect to pay the following:

  • USCIS Form I-129F filing fee
  • USCIS Form I-485 filing fee
  • Legal fees

Fiance Visa Process

The process of applying for a fiancé visa is as follows:

  • The US citizen must file form I-129F
  • Upon approval, Form I-29F will be sent to the US Department of State
  • The sponsored fiancé must compete and file the DS-160 Form
  • The sponsored fiancé will be interviewed at his or her home country’s US embassy or consulate
  • Upon approval of the K-1 visa, the sponsored fiancé can enter the US and the couple must get married within a 90 day period.
Close Menu